Tuesday, December 27, 2011

‘Twas the day after Christmas


‘Twas the day after Christmas

‘Twas the day after Christmas and all through the barn,
All the creatures were stirring, though they feared no harm.
The cows were all lowing, as they stood there just dazed
While the donkeys stood around just simply amazed.

We had stopped at the inn for a night of needed rest,
For we had traveled far, far from the west.
To pay our taxes, to do what was right
Though most of it went to make Herod’s might.

When out of my window I saw something bright
 It was caused by a star that broke through the night.
I got up to see this wonderful thing
And I swear I could hear the angels sing.

Down in the stable where the animals are kept
I saw such a sight I almost wept
For there in the manger a baby was born
Yes down there, where the sheep are shorn

This was a special baby, this I could see
A special baby for you and for me.
A special baby for this wondrous event
That would give the world a whole new bent

For God came into the world today
To give us a gift that would show a new way
Wonder of wonders, He came, He came.
Calling this baby with many a name.

Anointed, beloved, worthy, and king
Names that just make your heart want to sing
Creator, counselor, and God is with us,
Emmanuel, messiah, and the name, Jesus.

Savior, redeemer, Lord God most high
Our Passover, our prince, are names he goes by.
For God came into the world today
To give us a gift that would show a new way.

The star was still shining with the sky all a glow
As we stood in awe, those of us here down below
Was this real?  Could it truly be?
That God would give such a gift to you and to me?

Could a baby, so tiny and small and such
Could just a baby mean very much
Yet as I went down to see him up close
I wanted it to be real, I wanted that most

He was not very fancy this I can tell
And the stable had more than a really bad smell
The clothes he was wrapped in were dirty and old
Yet this was the messiah of whom Isaiah had told

Then shepherds came from their fields far away
To see this baby, to see where he lay
For they told stories about angels in the sky
Angels that had messages from our God up high

This baby that was born on Christmas night
Would bring peace and justice and make things right.
A new kingdom he would usher in,
A kingdom where everyone would be free from sin.

So be not afraid, do not have fear,
The new world of God is already here.
Glory to God in the highest the angels shouted.
Peace on Earth among men they also touted

No comments:

Post a Comment