Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Glow of Christmas


The Glow of Christmas

Our kids have been sending us pictures that remind us that Christmas time in Minnesota is upon you.  There may not be much snow but there is still the Christmas glow.  We can picture the lighted houses, the trees in the windows, sitting around the fire or the table with friends and relatives, and the good cheer that abounds during the pre-Christmas time.  And we can’t forget the season of giving. Presents under the tree, Santa and his sleigh, and the anticipation of watching the grandkids open their gifts.  We know there are the Black Fridays and busy days that make you question it all but let’s face it, Christmas time in Minnesota is the best.

To not be there for all of this warmth and love is hard for us.  It is a favorite time of year.  Why of all times did we pick Christmas time to be gone from Minnesota?  As we have asked a thousand times before what are we doing here, and why are we here now?  God, what are you up to?

There is no “glow” in Niger.  No snow, no lighted houses, no trees in the windows, no fires, few friends, no relatives, good cheer but I can’t say it abounds.  No Santa, not much in the way of gifts, and what really hurts, no grandkids to watch.  God, you’ve taken all the trappings of Christmas away.
But then God says: “What Christmas do you want to remember?  The Christmas of last year or the Christmas of 2000 years ago.  Look what I’ve given you!!!!”

“When I came to earth there were no lights on houses, trees inside, and gifts galore.  When I became flesh. There was no glow, no parties, no candle light dinners.   I’ve brought you to a desert with sand, heat, and dust, and goats, and sheep, and donkeys, and camels to look at.  I’ve given you shepherds, and beggars, and poor people all around you.  These are the things of my birth.”
“Do you want to remember “Christmas Time?”  Or do you want to remember “Christmas?”  Don’t confuse the two.  Christmas Time is a wonderful time indeed but it is not Christmas, it is just Christmas Time.  I want to give you the gift of seeing Christmas, without the Christmas Time.  I want you to see Christmas like it was; a lot less Currier & Ives and a lot more Niger.”

“I’ve brought you here so that you would see, for the first time, that I am not just a Minnesota God.  I am a world God, a God for all people and all places.   I’ve brought you here so that you would have a picture of me that is more than just American, more than just Minnesota, and more than just a glow.  Christmas is all around you.”

So while we miss Christmas Time, we are grateful that, this year, God is nudging us a little closer to Christmas.  Thank you God.

Merry Christmas,
Sally and Elgin

1 comment: