Monday, February 13, 2012

The Desert


There is quite a contrast between living in the land of 10,000 lakes and the desert land of Niamey, Niger.  One has water; one doesn’t.  One is green and full of color (spring, summer, fall) and one is well mostly orange. 
Bird stalking goat in Desert

We are told that the sand dunes in the north are spectacular.  We will only see them in pictures because the unrest in this part of the world restricts where we can go – and the sand dunes of the north is one of the restrictions.  Unfortunately we are missing a big piece of Niger.  But I digress and to tell you the truth there is plenty of sand right here in the city.   

Today I am thinking about water and green and home and the lack of color and green here.  I am feeling grateful to have my home in a place that has so much water.  I wonder, why do we get all that water, and here there is so little of it.

In this country of so little water, I am feeling very grateful that we are living at the SIL Center where we do have indoor plumbing and water that works.  We also are close to the river – so we get to see water!!
Not fertile


In many parts of Niger villagers walk many kilometers to get any water.  As Elgin has written in other blogs, there is a drought in much of the country that leads to hunger issues as they cannot grow their crops nor feed their animals without water. 

This desert, like all desert countries, is hot, dusty, and very dry.  There is very little green anywhere, as there is very little water.  Flowers are rare – there are some but they are in places where they are being watered.  You couldn’t find, much less buy or pick a bouquet, for your table or send flowers to someone.  I have not seen any flowers in homes or shops. 
Thinking about the visible and practical aspects of having or not having water is making me think about the spiritual implications too.  I know water was the theme at Colonial last fall.  Thankfully we were able to hear a couple of Daniel’s water sermons.  So I know that there are many spiritual applications involving water. 

I know there have been “desert” times in my life – times when God seems absent or silent – times when I don’t even want to pray – times where I try to fill my need for “God” with busyness or things.  These times are like sand traps.  Easy to roll into and lots harder to get out!

So it amazes me that far this experience, where we are actually in the desert, has been such a spiritual high.  I have felt nourished – watered with living water if you will. 

So I wonder – how can I live in Minnesota where there is so much water and at times feel like I am in the desert? And how can I live in the desert of Niamey and have so much living water? 
I wonder too, would I walk and walk until I found water?   Do I realize that my life depends on “living” water?  When I live where there is so much water – do I take it for granted?  Do I think it will always be available? 
Soccer Field 

I am grateful to be experiencing God in the land of drought which tells me living water isn’t determined by the water available to us but is dependent on God.  It is God who gives us “living water” and the miracle is that he gives it in the desert.  For that we are grateful.   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment