Saturday, November 26, 2011

Reconnaissance


Gratitude
We have just had Thanksgiving – a time when we focus on being thankful.  I love Thanksgiving for that reason.  It is good to give thanks!  I know that but it seems God wants me to know more. 
God has a way of helping me learn what he wants me to learn and this Thanksgiving it seems he wanted me to grow in my understanding and practice of giving thanks – of gratitude. 

Elgin and I are doing Jesus Calling as our morning devotional.  From September through October the author seemed to be on one theme - be in relationship with God – in continual relationship – not just devotion time or church time – but all day long – in communion with God – enjoying his constant relationship.   

In November the message has been on gratitude, thanks – in all things thanks and at all times – as a way to be in continual relationship with God.

Henri Nouwen, talks about the need for God to really work in our lives He needs to be in all of it – the light and the dark, the good and the bad.  He says until we can see God in all that is happening in our lives we are not really seeing God.

Then a friend from home sent me a blog by Ann Voskamp she really likes – www.aholyexperience.com.  A few days later, a friend here asked me if I read Ann Voskamp’s blog.  And then another friend told me about a really good book she has read by, you guessed it, Ann Voskamp.  Each of them expressed that her writing speaks Jesus to them. 

Okay, I’m a little slow but after three times and all the gratitude messages from Jesus Calling I finally found the blog and downloaded her book on my Ipad.  Of course, they both are about – gratitude!! 

I would have to say, I got good advice. 

So what I am learning is that God works in me and through me as I express my gratitude to him for ALL that is happening in my life.  For me right now that means having a root canal done by a French-speaking dentist in Niamey, Niger.  This was not on my list of things to do while we are here!
Having had breast cancer twice I can attest that what seems like the worst thing isn’t always so and that God is at work and does use what is happening in our lives to bring us into closer relationship with him.  I still would have trouble saying “thank you” for breast cancer or root canals in Niamey, but I can say I know God is involved and at work and for that I am grateful.  I can focus on that reality and honestly tell God that I am grateful.

I am learning that I can learn to be grateful – I can practice being grateful – learn and practice – learn and practice.  By continually thanking God for what I see, hear, and experience each moment I find myself in constant communion with God – prayer without ceasing – gratitude prayers!
Ann, (we are on a first name basis now,) says when you are grateful and actively expressing gratitude to God, it is hard to worry and complain at the same time.  She says that by continually thanking God you will see God work because gratitude is the language of God.  It is the language we were created to use.

So not wanting the Thanksgiving spirit to leave us after just a few days, I offer you Jesus Calling and Ann Voskamp as well as 1Thessalonians 5:16-18 and many other words of scripture as evidence that God does desire our expressions of gratitude to Him.

Right now I am grateful to God for all of you who are supporting us with your prayers and encouraging us with emails. 

1 comment:

  1. I read Ann Voskamp every day and have just started her book. I'll think of you when I read it now. I'm also working on her "gratitude journal", a new app on my iPhone. Living each day with an attitude of gratitude is not always easy, but is richly rewarding, especially when it's hard to find something to be thankful for. Today I'm grateful for Sally and Elgin. You are my heroes!

    ReplyDelete